Re: new desktop tips

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 01:01:41PM -0300, Gunther Furtado wrote:
> I am starting to gather info on hardware in order to assemble a new
> multiple processor debian desktop for my wife and I and I would
> appreciate if you could tell what is the smartest choice these days on
> motherboard/processor and memory. The only thing kind of beyond plain
> desktop use I intent doing frequently is multiterminal (probably
> xephyr).

Well my latest machine (for mythtv to go faster) a couple of months ago
was:

Asus P5K
Nvidia 8600GT
OCZ Platinum rev2 OCZ2P800R22GK 2x1GB DDR2-6400 ram
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Silverstone TJ04-B case
Silverstone SST-ST56F 560W power supply
(and of course 4 x WD5000AAKS Western digital 500GB harddisks for raid5
storage)

I already had a Plextor PX760 DVD writer so I didn't need one of those.

Works great with testing and unstable.  Etch is simply to old to run the
video card or motherboard.  I am very happy with it.  The only thing I
would change if buying it now would be to get a Q9450 rather than Q6600
CPU since it is 10 to 20% faster and uses about half the power (which
would be a good thing in my mythtv box).

I am currently about to upgrade a build server at work from an Athlon64
3500+ + A8V + 2x512MB ram to a Q6600 + P5K-V (onboard intel video) +
2x2GB OCZ ram which should come in at just around $500 reusing the case
and drives from before.