Re: Hello from Cuba

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 03:02:24PM -0500, EMNI Pablo Rafael López Martínez wrote:
>          I have just installed Debian 4.0 this morning and a big problem
> has arised right now. When I tried to shutdown the system, the keyboard
> freeze but i could see ?between many messages- this:
>
> <0> kernel panic ? not syncing : Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
>
> Please, I want to use Debian because I love very much the ?GNU way of
> live?. Somebody know what can I do?.

Welcome Pablo,

Kernel panic sort of says it all.  The kernel is the big piece of
program that does anything related to your hardware.  All other
programes request the kernel to do something (they're called system
calls).  So something happend related to hardware that the kernel
couldn't handle.

Does the computer eventually turn off or say 'system halted' or 'power
off'?

Syncing is what happens near the end of boot that forces all data that's
waiting to be stored to disk, to the disk before the power is turned
off.

I don't know how to solve it but others here will.  However, I expect
they will need more information.  With the system running, do you have a
way to get information off of it?  i.e. does email work, do you have a
printer that works, a floppy or USB stick that you can sneakernet to a
working computer?

Boot your computer and login.  Transfer the following information to
something and then email it to this thread:

What kind of computer, hard drives, MB, processor, memory, etc.
The output of dmesg or the contents of /var/log/dmesg
The contents of /var/log/boot
The output of lspci -v

Something in all of that should give someone a clue.

Good luck,

Doug.