Re: Kernel panics on new machine

Yes, I have the DIMMs in banks 1 and 2 out of 4 and I've removed and
reseated them;  I have swapped out the SATA cable, there are no PCI
or PCI Express cards (system is headless.)

And it looks like it was just that easy;  I pulled one DIMM and ran
the system on a single 512, problem gone;  I wrote out 3 separate
100gb files without incident.

It makes no sense to me as the RAM was fine in the other system, I
never had problems.

What kind of system was the ram in before?

Oh well, guess I'm getting new RAM.

Get GOOD ram.  Athlon64/Opteron systems are picky.  Well known name
brand ram is not much more money than generic (and usually crap) ram.

thanks, sorry to trouble the list with such a trivial thing.

Ram is not trivial on AMD systems. :)

Thanks again for the help ... the RAM was used for about 4 months in a desktop P4 system on an Asus board. It is good RAM, Micron from Crucial. I suppose I must have shocked and killed it moving it, but before this I have never had that happen in 20 years (and I've built many systems.)

I've ordered Corsair as a replacement.

thanks!

Rob