Re: Kernel and Xen on an Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5320 processor

Le Tuesday 04 September 2007 16:42:54 GNUbie, vous avez écrit :
> Hello Gilles,
>
> Sorry for the late response to your e-mail.

After some vacation, I more late than you !

> linux-image-2.6.18-5-xen-amd64
> linux-image-2.6.18-5-xen-vserver-amd64

This question ahas been answered many times on several lists, but perhaps not
on this. So :
Vserver is another virtualisation technologie (sort of enhanced chroot).
It is not in the standard kernel, so you have à linux-image*vserver package.
But, as it is not like Xen (para or full virtualization), it can be used with
it.
You can Have a server with several virtual machines with Xen, and in on of
them (Dom0 or DomU), you can have some vservers if you use a
linux-image-*-xen-vserver-*.

> Also, what is the difference between xen-linux-system-2.6.18-5-xen-amd64
> and the xen-linux-system-2.6.18-5-xen-vserver-amd64 and which of these two
> shall I install?

Install xen-linux-system-2.6.18-5-xen-amd64.