openoffice.org crashes testing

I am running debian amd64 testing on a dual-opteron box, doing updates when notified by the listserv.

For years, I have to open a few dozen word docs each week.

Only in the last couple of weeks, I have had the entire system freeze up when I click on the "file" menu in OOo Writer. The problem is intermittent, maybe less than half the time, for a total of about half a dozen freezes so far.

The mouse arrow moves, but clicking has no effect, ctl-alt-bkspc does not kill X, and ctl-alt-{f[123456]} does not go to a tty console. I end up using the reset button to reboot. It's like being back in Windows again.

Is this a known problem?  Is there a fix?

Thanks, Don