Re: HP DV9540 laptop AMD64 with nVidia G8400M graphic card will not start in X mode

* Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> [2007-08-24 09:33:27 -0400]:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 02:53:49AM +0200, Niels Larsen wrote:
> > On Friday 24 August 2007 02:35:29 Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> >
> > At last I installed a driver direct from nvidia's site, following their
> > instructions:
> >
> > http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_100.14.11.html
>
> You really don't want to do that.  It WILL break on some future upgrade.
> 3rd party installers are always a bad idea.  Just get the debian
> packages from unstable instead and install those.  That will work fine
> and upgrade correctly.

The one or two times I've tried to use Debian procedures to update the
kernel, it worked okay.  But I've also had trouble with it, especially
when adding drivers to the mix.  I much prefer doing it all myself and
understanding where to put every file.

But that's just me.

--
Tux rox!