Re: HP DV9540 laptop AMD64 with nVidia G8400M graphic card will not start in X mode

On Thursday 23 August 2007 21:35:37 Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 08:38:32PM +0200, Niels Larsen wrote:
> > I have only this one card.
> >
> > How do I do that (sorry to ask).
> >
> > I have aptitude to install  with, and when I search for nvidia, I only
> > get nvidia-xconfig as a package, and I have installed that, but it will
> > not open because I do not have X working.
>
> Make sure your /etc/apt/sources.list has 'main contrib non-free' not
> just 'main', since otherwise you won't have access to non-free packages
> like the nvidia binary drivers.  Certainly something as new as an 8400M
> is likely to need the binary drivers, which is assuming they are even
> new enough.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

I ran module-assistant, and I lost track of all the messages in
module-assistant, and got kernel sources installed with aptitude.

I have added contrib and non-free, and then lots of nvidia packages came up.

Now I have got a newer kernel installed, and 2 extra lines in grub bootloader.

Which kernel I try to boot, I get black screen, so I wonder if I have to
reinstall everything.

This black screen looks like the k/ubuntu black screen I have mentioned.

:-?