Re: HP DV9540 laptop AMD64 with nVidia G8400M graphic card will not start in X mode

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 08:38:32PM +0200, Niels Larsen wrote:
> I have only this one card.
>
> How do I do that (sorry to ask).
>
> I have aptitude to install  with, and when I search for nvidia, I only get
> nvidia-xconfig as a package, and I have installed that, but it will not open
> because I do not have X working.

Make sure your /etc/apt/sources.list has 'main contrib non-free' not
just 'main', since otherwise you won't have access to non-free packages
like the nvidia binary drivers.  Certainly something as new as an 8400M
is likely to need the binary drivers, which is assuming they are even
new enough.