Re: high quality sound card ???

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 06:34:04PM -0500, helices wrote:
> I am looking to add a high quality sound card to my amd64 system.
>
> Obviously, I want it supported on in Etch.
>
> Please, advise ...

What do you intend to use it for?  What features do you want?

ie:
S/PDIF optical and/or coax
stereo only/5.1/7.1
balanced line in/microphone jacks
etc.

The required features depend entirely on what you intend to do with it.

For some people an SB Live or Audigy is a very good card.  Nice sound
quality (not pro level, but excelent for a PC).

For very high end stuff, ALSA is currently working on adding support for
some of the external EMU units, as well as some cards based on CMI-8788
(like the Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 which looks very very good, but is
getting hard to get since the card has been discontinued due to a
shortage of parts.  It is being replaced by an X-Fi based card from the
same company, which should hopefully get support if ALSA someday gets
X-Fi support.  So far there are no data sheets or anything else so no
chance any time soon).

The EMU devices like the 1212m and 1820m work with ALSA 1.0.14
apparently, but Etch only has 1.0.13, so that doesn't help if you insist
on it working with Etch.