video card with hardware mpeg decoding with free driver?

I have an nVidia EN7300GT based card.  I'm quite happy with it when I
use the nVidia driver to watch DVDs.  With the nv driver the fine image
detail is less clear.  I'm assuming that this is because the nv driver
isn't accessing the hardware decoding engine.

Are there any good video cards that do hardware decoding/accelleration
that use a free driver?

I'm asking on this list since my box is an Athlon64 running amd64 and I
don't know if, for example, there are fewer choices of free drivers for
amd64.

Thanks,

Doug.