Re: New Debian user

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 12:33:20PM -0500, Don Montgomery wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I am a little confused---you tried to install a module so
> that you would have net access?  Therefore, you do have a
> physical connection available?
>
> If so, you can probably burn and use a net-install CD and
> let debian-installer find and configure your net access on
> its own, it is very good at that, perhaps prompting you
> for some information during the install.
>
> If you do not have a physical connection, you can burn a
> stand-alone CD install.

You can install Debian from just the first CD of the many-CD set.
Other CD's just contain more packages which are less popular or less
essential than the ones on the first CD.  But you can get those off the
net if you have a net connection.  The first CD contains everything you
need to use the net (except for the networking hardware and your
contract with the ISP, of course) to install furhter packages.  I oftern
install using only the first CD and add other things off the net as
needed.

-- hendrik