Re: 32-bit vs AMD64 on Opteron for LAMP server

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 10:24:14PM -0500, Neil Gunton wrote:

> >Fairly early in the install, there's a menu item "continue install from
> >ssh".  Is there no way to get remote access to the console so that the
> >datacenter people only have to put CD-bin1 into the drive?
>
> I have never seen this option (I recently installed Etch from scratch on
> my home workstation, after my hard drive died). How is this accessed?
> Where do you get the (no doubt arcane) information that is needed to
> access the option, since it plainly wasn't visible during the stock install?

Read the installation manual (and the release notes).  I also chose
expert mode (not -GUI), curses interface.

> >You can do software raid right from the installer.  My box has two
> >drives, with LVM over raid1 for the system including swap.  Grub can
> >boot off of raid1 so put /boot on raid1 (no LVM) partition.
>
> Again, I saw no option for software RAID. I did see an option for LVM
> during the partitioning section, but nothing at all about RAID. How
> would I enable that?

When you select a drive or partition, there's the "use-as" line.
Instead of selecting a filesystem type, choose the line that refers to
RAID.  Once you have partitions marked for RAID, a new menu item in the
partitioner appears; something to the effect of "set up raid".  Once you
have your raid set up, then mark the md*s for use as "physical volume
for LVM", then you go through that and create your LVs.  Then you select
your LVs and use as your filesystems.  Lable each filesystem so that
after the install you can use LABEL= in your kernel command line and in
fstab to avoid the device renaming issue.