Re: 32-bit vs AMD64 on Opteron for LAMP server

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 07:29:25AM -0700, michael@estone.ca wrote:
> Quoting Neil Gunton <neil@nilspace.com>:
>

> >Does anybody else have any opinions on whether software RAID would be
> >faster than using the built-in Adaptec SmartRaid 2015S card?
> >

> Etch has full SW raid support right out of the install. No messing
> with kernels.
> You can even install raid on the / during the install if you wanted.
> I didn't want to get into a hardware vs software raid conversation,
> but figured if you had a few days of down time, it would nice to run
> some tests before hand.

The determining factor for whether to use "hardware" RAID or software
RAID is whether your "hardware" RAID actually does "hardware" RAID.  Do
a Google search on "fake RAID" to get an idea of what I mean.  Many
"hardware" RAID cards, especially the cheaper varieties, are nothing
more than proprietary software RAID implemented in the card BIOS.  This
is something that you DO NOT want.  Use something that has REAL hardware
RAID (Intel MegaRAID, HP SmartArray, 3Ware, etc), or just use the Linux
built-in software RAID.

Regards,

-Roberto

--