Re: watchdog or not?

michael@estone.ca napisał(a):
Sorry if this isn't quite related to AMD64 Deb boxes,
but just fired up a new etch amd64 system today and noticed that
some watchdog processes are running.
IIRC, the purpose of the watchdog is to help reboot your server
in case of a freeze up?
If I'm not mistaken, this can be disabled in the bios.
Do most sys admins running servers enable or disable the watchdog
setting?

Hello,

For me, I use hardware watchdog only for router which haven't lot opened files, for production server it's to risky it will by overload and can't answer to watchdog correctly, but this is only my private opinion. Maybe You need more sofisticated solution like remote term via network, connected to Your server throw rs232 or something like that.

--

Arek Macak
Studio Dardo.