Re: googleearth RAM Cache

Hi all,

Concerning the google 'flight control' helicopter-steering mode which suddenly got 'disruptive'.
After some tests, i'm still not clear how it works - but it's ok, now.
What finally made a difference, was trimming the RAM cache down to 600M. Google default is about 400, for 2G Ram, and i pushed it up to 1024 in the beginning because i though that would enhance things. I think i may have to accept that 2G of slow 333Mhz DDR2memory (though running in dual mode) just is not fast enough for the google aircraft. At least for high speed low-level flight through the Grand Canyon, and investigatin glacial gorges and volvanos in the Sierra Nevada ;) The same applies for ADSL2000 with slow uplink -- and then the googleearth server may have some load at times, too.

I always find it not easy to determine the exact RAM type just by the stickers on the bars.
They say 'Corsair Value Select VS1GB667D2' which seem to be the same. On each 64M chip there are cryptic numbers like '64M8CFEG  PS0900635'.
So usually i trust BIOS wich in this case says 'DDRII667 (333MHz)'.

I would be interested can i tell by dmidecode what kind of RAM is installed ?

It looks like

Handle 0x0007, DMI type 5, 24 bytes
Memory Controller Information
        Error Detecting Method: 64-bit ECC
        Error Correcting Capabilities:
                None
        Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
        Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
        Maximum Memory Module Size: 2048 MB
        Maximum Total Memory Size: 8192 MB
        Supported Speeds:
                70 ns
                60 ns
        Supported Memory Types:
                DIMM
                SDRAM
        Memory Module Voltage: 3.3 V
        Associated Memory Slots: 4
                0x0008
                0x0009
                0x000A
                0x000B
        Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities:
                None

Handle 0x0008, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
Memory Module Information
        Socket Designation: DIMM0
        Bank Connections: 0 2
        Current Speed: 5 ns
        Type: ECC DIMM
        Installed Size: 1024 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Enabled Size: 1024 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Error Status: OK

Handle 0x0009, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
Memory Module Information
        Socket Designation: DIMM1