Re: checkinstall lacking on stable

--- Ross Boylan <ross@biostat.ucsf.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 00:32 -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > I am now at such cases for amd64 (dual core opterons)
> > with OpenMPI (a parallelization support) and Amber (a
> > molecular dynamics package), which I wish to compile
> > with my installed intel fortran and c.
> I can't help with your problem, but your mail raises a couple of
> questions.  I heard a couple years ago that Intel had made some changes
> to their compilers that made them not work (or maybe not work well) with
> chips from other vendors.  Is that information inaccurate?

On the above system I have so far used intel compilers to provide runtime to
the quantum mechanics NWChem suite of programs. Otherwise, my installed version
of NWChem was compiled by NWChem people with intels. If I remember correctly,
they provide different binaries for amd64 and the intel equivalent. On my
system, NWChem, with TCGMSG parallelization support, runs very efficiently,
both local and plane waves.

Again if I remember correctly, Amber's people are providing advice on the
mailing list for compilation on dual core opteron.

francesco

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/