Re: confused about performance

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 08:18:53PM -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 06:50:57AM -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> >
> >> I wouldn't throw away that Intel compiler just yet. For that matter, I'd
> >> give serious consideration to switching to a Core 2 Duo and a copy of
> >> Intel's tuning tools ... they are quite good. Life's too short to wait
> >> for calculations. :)
> >
> > I don't suppose, for fun, it would be possible to compile debian amd64
> > on one of the good commercial compilers?
> >
> You mean the kernel, or all of the packages, or both? ;)
>
> I don't think it would be much "fun", given Debian's free software roots. ;)

I meant the whole shebang.

I don't mean to distribute it.  More of a massive benchmark to compare
the gcc with the best commercial compiler and see what difference it
made to applications we use all the time.

It would be interesting to do this for both 32-bit and 64-bit.  Since
32-bit gcc is quite mature it could provide some insight into how to
make it better.

As for debian's free software roots, as a comparison, even OpenBSD which
rants against the GPL at any opportunity still uses gcc since there's no
other alternative; they're too small to be able to make a bsdcc.

Doug.