Re: confused about performance

A Dijous 14 Juny 2007 16:40, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky va escriure:
[...]
>    b. You want to develop 64-bit applications

why? you want to develop applications, that they run in a 32 or 64 system it's
another thing. Maybe they run "better" or worst, but the final architecture
cannot be a target, I think.

[...]

> As far as the applications in the Debian pool, or open source in
> general, are concerned, I would first look at large-scale scientific
> computing. And I would start with making sure that you have the Atlas
> (automatically tuned linear algebra subroutines) libraries and their
> BLAS and LAPACK interfaces all tuned up and ready to install on all the
> architectures. The ATLAS team is just about ready to release 3.8 -- they
> are at 3.7.32 at the moment and I think what's in Debian is still 3.6.0.

ok, but I think that this apps are developed in fortran, and the gfortran is
it sufficient developed to make a good difference? Maybe GSL or MTL ..

> The last test I ran on my Athlon64 X2 4200+ (2.2 GHz) got me about 10
> gigaflops in 32-bit arithmetic and about half of that in 64-bit arithmetic.

I don't understand that. Are you saying that the 64-bits was really worst than
32?