Re: Motherboard recommendation please

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 10:25:33AM +0300, Danny Tiberman wrote:
> Can you Please recommend me a core2 duo board that will fully support
> Debian  plus a good graphic card?
>
> what do you know about Intel DG965RYCK and Geforce PCS7300GS?

Personally I prefer Asus boards.  I find them better designed than most
reference boards and many other companies boards.  They also tend to get
their bioses right (If not initially, then soon after).

The Asus P5B-* series are quite nice i965 boards.  I can't think of
anything on it that shouldn't work with debian (I didn't notice anything
not right when I booted Ubuntu on my sisters P5B machine in December).

As for video card, I think the 7600GT is very nice performance for the
money, but if you don't need 3D performance, the 7300GS is probably
pretty decent.  You do NOT get dual link DVI on the 7300GS though as far
as I remember.  You need at least a 7300GT for that, but unless you ever
want to run a 30" LCD you probably won't need that.  I don't personally
like turbocache (or hypermemory for that matter) since that is almost as
bad as integrated video using system memory.  A 7300GT doesn't use
turbocache, and has dual link DVI and would be a much nicer card than a
7300GS.  Probably costs more too though (about $10 more as far as I can
tell)