[Solved in a round about way] Re: Ideas why dvd playback is jerky?

On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 17:27 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 11:09:43AM -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> > Always good to hear...  :)  The board had a good Linux review when I got
> > it from Newegg.
>
> Given the number of updates and problems on lkml for the SB600, I have a
> hard time believing someone would consider it a good linux board.  It's
> an ATI after all.  Maybe if you only use SATA it works OK. :)
>
> Which board model is it?

The MSI K9A Platinum.  I chose it as much for its cooler operating
temperature (vs. a hotter nvidia board) as anything else.  Even with
this problem, I can't say I'm turned off by it.  It seems to do alright.

Who knows, though?  What boards do people really have no problems with?
I'm not against switching, though my wife's eyebrows will likely go
up...  ;-)

> > Looks like I should try to get more info about the SB600 and try
> > different options..
>
> Well hopefully there is a proper driver for the PATA ports on it.
> Everything I have found so far talks about SATA only.
>
> I know many new intel chipset boards use a JM or marvel controller for
> PATA since intel only does SATA now.

Well, this is the first thing I've run into w.r.t. issues, outside of
learning how to boot up with the proper kernel options (which the kernel
warns may impact performance).  My HD's are SATA, and I was using the
PATA for the dvd drives.

I've "solved" the issue of DMA, though.  I installed a Promise pci IDE
controller, up to now unused in another system (my daughter's), and
hooked things up to that.  Aside from discovering that I had to choose
the right pci slot for it to keep BIOS from freezing up, it's working
and the DVDs are smooth now.

Many thanks to you, Daniel, Doug, and Dean for your help in pinpointing
the problem!

Kenward

--
The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I
have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than