Re: deciding on a new amd64 system

Alexandru Cardaniuc wrote:
I googled and found that Dell offers Dimension n Series E521.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/e510_nseries?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

It comes with no Windows OS preinstalled. And Dell claims that it is
"ready" to work under linux.
Does anybody here have this machine? Are there any compatibility issues?
I plan to use it with Debian Etch. Etch comes with linux kernel 2.6.18

Googling I found out about a problem with USB freezing mice and
keyboards, but it seems that this problem was solved with BIOS update
that Dell issued in January, 2007. Google doesn't show any more problems
with it...

I have this one, running Lenny currently. I had some trouble getting the sound card to work initially, but has been working fine for months now (since before etch was released). Other than that, no problems and no complaints. Haven't had any of the USB issues either.