Re: Fwd: swap

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 10:03:00AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 03:10:11AM -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > Below I mean adding a single HD not to the raid, just
> > as additional space where to point the swap file
> > thanks
>
> Running a raid1 system with non raid swap just doesn't make sense.  If
> the swap drive fails, your system dies horribly possible in ways that
> could mess up the filesystem.  Why make a system with redundancy
> suddenly have none?  Better to buy a pair of those drives and run swap
> on another raid1.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

To answer the original question:  Yes, it is possible.

As the other respondents have indicated, you would be facing some
increased risk and the question is whether the increased risk is an
acceptable trade-off for you.

If I really, really needed the performance, I'd put the swap on 2
striped raid0 drives.  I'd probably mount every partition except /var
and /home/workplace read-only though.

Patrick.