Re: New box crashes

On Mon, 07 May 2007 02:00:09 +0200, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> I just got a new box (Athlon 54 X2 4200+ on a Gigabyte Technology NVIDIA
> GeForce 6100 Socket AM2 AMD ATX Motherboard).

They ripped you off man... they're called "64" ;)

> I'm getting miscellaneous
> crashes on Etch. They usually occur during I/O intensive operations, and
> at this point I have no reason to suspect the hardware.

Just because it's new shiny stuff you shouldn't assume it not their fault.

> I've gotten a
> few traces in /var/log/messages, which I'll post to the appropriate
> place as soon as I find out what the appropriate place is.

If it's kernel related, the LKML is the right place.

> So, where does one take this sort of thing?

In order:

1) Check the memory with memtest for 12+ hours
2) Check that HD cables are correctly placed in their sockets
3) Check that the computer isn't running too hot
4) Check with another distro. Check the md5sum of the iso BEFORE burning
it
5) If nothing yields results, disassemble the computer and remount it
with more care and love

Good luck!

--
Best Regards, Jack