Re: AMD 64 DVD Installer for Debian Lenny Hangs

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 21:31 -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I've got a new Dell running dual core AMD 64 bit processors. I thought
> I would try intsalling Debian Lenny on the computer.
>
> I've tried both the DVD installer for AMD 64 and the i386 CD installer
> for Debian Lenny. The installer hangs in the same spot with both media
> installation types.
>
> The installer hangs after this message is printed to the screen:
>
>  "io scheduler cfq registered"
>
> I've tried this several times, and each time it hangs in the same
> spot. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem?
> Will I be able to install Debian on my system?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Huey

While not an expert at all, I do feel comfortable saying that you should
be able to get Debian on the machine.  I would suggest Etch initially
(changing up to Lenny is easy), unless there is something found in Lenny
that you need for the installation.

What do you know about the Dell?  MB? Controllers? Have you checked for
compatibility issues others installing Linux (not necessarily Debian)
may have had with these components (esp. the MB)?  Have you tried an
Ubuntu (or other) live cd to see how it fares?

My own issues with my recent install led to finding out what boot
options had to be included to get around a MB not fully supported at
this time.  You may have similar ones.

The message you see involves the kernel setting up a scheduler
internally.  My gut tells me that that is not the source of the problem,
but just the point things get to as something underneath is coming into
play...

HTH,

Kenward
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --
A. Einstein