Re: Ati Radeon framebuffer on Dell Inspiron 6400

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 05:32:25PM +0100, Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> Just got Etch running on said machine.  It's very fast and stable but I've got one little problem! Does anyone know if it's possible to get the ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 to work with the kernel Radeon Framebuffer?  I had to use the proprietary fglrx drivers to get X to work properly on this laptop so I'm thinking maybe not.  The laptop has got a widescreen (1280x800) display.  Are there any options I can pass to the kernel to enable the framebuffer?

Generally the proprietary drivers don't seem to get along with the frame
buffer drivers.  I also find that in my experience the frame buffer
drivers for ATI don't work reliably on laptop chips.  Of course if you
could get frame buffer drivers to work, you could run X on top of that
instead (minus any 3D support and accaleration of course).

My personal choice so far is to simply not buy laptops with ATI video in
them (I have no problem with intel or nvidia graphics).