gnome-session in amd64

I have installed X and gnome in my dual-opterons
machine debian amd64 etch.

 I have renamed in /etc/rc2.d
#mv S21gdm K01gdm

so that on system launch I get the alphanumeric
terminal because I have the appropriate .Xsession
script in my home (the machine is mostly used for
calculations)

Now

$gnome-session

reports

(gnome-session:####): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open
display

while before renaming S21gdm it booted into gnome
regularly.

I was used to this trick on previous installations of
debian amd64; in this new installation it does not
work. (I do not use nvidia drivers, just "nv")

Thank you for help
francesco pietra