Re: Trouble with proxy firewall doing Sarge 3.1r3 netinst

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 12:12:53PM -0600, Peter Welch wrote:
> "The proxy information should be given in the standard form of"
> http://[[user][:pass]@]host[:port]/
>
> Well, whatever I try doesn't work but while it may be painfully obvious to some how to interpret that syntax, it has me baffled.
>
> I have a userid and password and am told that it is IP 192.168.107.5 and port 80
>
> I can't ping the IP address -- is that a problem from the start?

Might just mean the sys admin has firewalled off pings (icmps)

can you run
telnet  192.168.107.5 80

and if you get a connection type GET /

should come back with an error about invalid url .....

if that works then your proxy address in the format above would be (based on
userid of john and password of hello)

http://john:hello@192.168.107.5:80/