Re: pci express card on debian amd64 sarge

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:42:06PM -0300, Mauricio Ortiz Calvao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am about to buy a workstation with:
>
> 1) motherboard: Supermicro H8DCE
>
> 2) CPU's: 2 AMD Opteron 246 cpu's
>
> This motherboard seems to support a PCI Express slot and thus I would
> like, if
> possible, to take advantage of this resource, when acquiring a graphics
> board.
> Specifically, I would like to check whether any one knows that either (i)
> an
> nVidia 6200 120 PCie, or (ii) an ATI Radeon X300SE PCI-e video card would
> be
> supported in Debian AMD64 sarge and how these cards compare (which one is
> better?).

Probably would depend on a few things, but I have that exact ATI card
(the author asked about PCIe cards) in my system, and it works for me
without a second thought.  No extra packages or drivers to install.
D-I brought up X and I didn't even have to answer any questions.
Drives my Dell FPW2005 panel like a champ.  I experience no lockups
or any other kind of hardware or software problem.

One thing I like about it is that X initializes and comes up very fast.

Caveat: I don't do any significant 3D; this is a development
workstation.