Re: compiz windows without borders

On 11/18/06, Dimitris Lampridis <dlampridis@gmail.com> wrote:
On Saturday 18 November 2006 08:55, antongiulio05@gmail.com wrote:
> > > http://wiki.debian.org/Compiz
> > > but when I launch from shell "compiz --replace &" window borders
> > > vanishing and windows are not more clickable.
> > > I use nvidia 5700 with last drivers available on unstable repository.
> >
> > Unlike most other window managers, compiz does not draw window borders.
> > Instead, drawing window borders is handled by "gnome-window-decorator"
> > or "gtk-window-decorator". You should start that before compiz.
>
> It doesn't work for me. But I have not "gnome-window-decorator", I have
> only "gtk-window-decorator". I have installed compiz-gnome too, but it
> doesn't contain "gnome-window-decorator". However, I read in a guide to
> launch this if borders vanishing:
>
> rm -r ~/.gconf/apps/compiz/
>
> and restart gnome. But it doesn't work for me too:)
>
> Giulio

I just got it working (under KDE?!). The only difference from what you've
mentioned is that I use "compiz --replace gconf&", followed by either GTK or
GNOME window decorator. both work.

could you give us the version you are using of the packages?

what kind of video card are you using?

I have a segfault of gtk-window-decorator.

thanks.

I thought it would be a waste of time, cumbersome eyecandy and such, but this
thing appears to be much faster and lighter than the built-in KDE support for
the composite extension. Sweet :)

Dimitris