Re: AMD64-generic doesn't see all 4GB RAM?

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 05:38:50PM -0500, Jim Crilly wrote:
> I've been using the pre-built kernels since I got this AMD64 box without
> any hardware detection issues. If your soundcard disappears every couple of
> reboots I would be more suspicious of the hardware than the kernel.

This is contradicted by the custom kernels not having this problem.

> As for VMWare, the Ubuntu wiki listed the prereqs that I needed and after
> they're installed you can install VMWare just like normal.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware_Guide%3a_Installing_VMware_Server_on_Ubuntu_6%2e06_LTS_amd64

Thanks for the link, but:
-the machine having problems is not running a 64bit kernel
-I already installed kernel headers and tried pointing the vmware-config
to many places without success.

Again these troubles aren't present when running custom kernels. 2 out of
the 3 machines I'm tried to run deb. kernels on failed. The third on is
running just fine.

--

 When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

   Daniel Tryba