Re: AMD64-generic doesn't see all 4GB RAM?

On 11/07/06 11:07:56PM +0100, Daniel Tryba wrote:
> Well, I personally have been trying debian kernels for a couple of
> weeks. A machine that has been running Debian/unstable with custom
> kernels for the last couple of years and always has been very stable,
> now is not detecting the soundcard every couple of reboots. And since I
> can't (mainly to lazy to figure out how to) get VMWare Server to work
> anymore (I can't seem to find the correct headers for the installed
> kernel) I'm making the same conclusion I made a couple of years ago:
> custom kernels are much more reliable and easier.

I've been using the pre-built kernels since I got this AMD64 box without
any hardware detection issues. If your soundcard disappears every couple of
reboots I would be more suspicious of the hardware than the kernel.

As for VMWare, the Ubuntu wiki listed the prereqs that I needed and after
they're installed you can install VMWare just like normal.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware_Guide%3a_Installing_VMware_Server_on_Ubuntu_6%2e06_LTS_amd64

Jim.