Re: nvidia driver

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 12:35 +0100, cbergmann@acm.org wrote:
> On Friday 03 November 2006 12:40, kees wrote:
> > Hello folks,
> > Although the problem I am talking about is a general debian problem/bug,
> > I tried to install the driver etc. via the *.run file downloaded from
> > nvidia, but this
> > also did not work (got complaints/errors about not finding the driver
> > module, although
> > the driver existed and was loaded).
>
> Etch uses X.Org 7 which stores the modules in a different place than former
> X.Org versions. However, there is a special command for the nvidia-installer
> which puts the modules in the right place. Please have a look at the Readme
> ( /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-x.x).
>
> I have been using the nvidia-installer (*.run file) with different Debian
> versions on 32bit and 64bit systems for some time and I didn't have any
> problems.

That's called dumb luck.

Whenever you install from the nvidia-installer, it wrecklessly
overwrites files scattered over /usr, which dpkg is meant to be managing
(i.e. components of X). Whenever these files get updated by the package
manager, X breaks. Whenever a change is made to packaging structure, it
breaks too. If you uninstall the NVidia driver, guess what - it breaks
some more.

Packages are provided for a good reason.