Re: Shutdown problem on Tyan S2875 opteron SMP

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 02:03:52PM -0400, Don Hayward wrote:
> Hey garrone -- I finally got around to shutting my system down.
> Confirming that your discovery worked perfectly.
>
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, garrone wrote:

> <snip>
> >
> >Just had a win on this, while attempting to get ACPI timers going
> >for mythtv.
> >
> >If a value is written to /proc/acpi/alarm, then shutdown -h works!
> >This confirms my view that buggy bios firmware is the culprit.
> <snip>
>
> I just did:
>
> echo 1 > /proc/acpi/alarm; shutdown -h now
>

> and blink - it went down.  Thanks very much.
>
> Don
> --
> Don.Hayward at pomobuli.net

Thanks for the note. I reakon it must be a firmware bug.
I must say I have it turning itself on and off automatically
for mythtv, and it works perfectly, far exceeding my initial
expectations. Having started a thread bagging this board,
I must recommend it.

Peter Garrone