Re: nvidia rivafb problems

On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 11:05 -0500, Seb wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:42:08 +0200,
> "Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)" <jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > This is probably because the device is compiled IN the kernel and not as
> > a loadable module.
>
> > Try zgrep NVIDIA /proc/config.gz
>

> I get:
>
> ,-----[ zgrep NVIDIA /proc/config.gz ]
> | CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA=m
> | # CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA_I2C is not set
> `-----
>
> Does this mean this Debian kernel doesn't work at all with nVidia?  Given
> that it's the best Debian kernel for my architecture, is there some way to
> tweak it?

Stop, stop, stop.

This is caused by a silly nvidia-kernel-source bug that has been
resolutely ignored for over a year.

"cat /proc/version" and ensure you have the correct version of GCC
installed - e.g. if your kernel was compiled with GCC 4.0, ensure you
have gcc-4.0

See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=319544

--Jo Shields