how do I interrupt an install?

Hello,

I'm in the process of installing on my new AMD Athlon computer.  I'm on
dialup.  The new computer accesses the net via ethernet to my 486 which
has a modem.

Boot is via USB stick with the businesscard netinst.iso, Etch Beta 3
AMD64.

The ppp connection drops occasionally and I sometimes need the phone.
When I got up this morning, the ppp link had dropped at 0130 but was
back up but the install was just sitting there.  It hadn't
re-established the connection and continue the download ('installing the
base system').  I had to shutdown and start over; it even had to
reformat the partions (LVM on raid1 on 2 disks).

How do I interrupt the installer and get it to continue where it left
off?

Thanks,

Doug.