Does vlc work for anybody?

Hi all,
	When I try to use vlc (0.8.6-svn20061008.debian-1, unstable) the main window is
shown but, when I choose the media to reproduce (no matter whether it's a file
or a dvd) it crashes with:

VLC media player 0.8.6 Janus
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
  Resource id in failed request:  0xffffffff
  Serial number of failed request:  18

Well, to not send noise to the maintainer, I would like to be assure that is a
real bug and not a misconfiguration. Have you had problems with vlc?

Best Regards,
Manolo.