Re: i386 or amd64?

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 09:54:13AM -0400, Matthias Julius wrote:
> dtutty@porchlight.ca writes:
>
> > I've just about finished building my new computer and need to decide
> > which Debian port to install (i386 vs AMD64).
> >
> > Hardware:
> > 	Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
> > 	AMD AM2 Athlon 64 3800+ (The best AM2 not on long back-order)
> > 	One 1-GB stick of 800 MHz ECC ram
>
> Just a note: Board and CPU support dual channel RAM.  It probably
> takes a performance hit if you give it only one memory module.
>
> Matthias

I know, however, there are only 4 slots.  If I went with 2-512 MB
sticks, then when I upgrade later I'll eventually want to put in bigger
sticks.  This way, I start with 1 GB stick, the next upgrade is a second
1 GB stick.  By the time I need to upgrade further, I'll add 2 GB sticks
unless 4 GB are available by then.