Re: i386 or amd64?

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 05:54:40PM +0200, HXC wrote:
> Is this true?  I have an amd64 4000+ system with 1GB memory in a single
> slot, does this hamper performance that much?

It cuts your memory bandwidth in half.  So any application that goes
through a lot of data, will be a lot slower.  Anything that is purely
cpu bound and uses very little data won't notice at all.  Certainly
AMD's ranking numbers give an idea that they think on average it should
make about a 10% difference in performance.  Since for some things it
makes no difference, and for others it can make up to a 50% slowdown,
the 10% is probably not far off.  Something like a database server would
probably be close to the max slowdown given how much data they tend to
search through looking for results.