Re: i386 or amd64?

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 09:54:13AM -0400, Matthias Julius wrote:

dtutty@porchlight.ca writes:

I've just about finished building my new computer and need to decide
which Debian port to install (i386 vs AMD64).

Hardware:
	Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
	AMD AM2 Athlon 64 3800+ (The best AM2 not on long back-order)
	One 1-GB stick of 800 MHz ECC ram

Just a note: Board and CPU support dual channel RAM.  It probably
takes a performance hit if you give it only one memory module.

It would take quite a big performance hit I suspect.  It would
essentially drop to the performance of the socket 754 systems, rather
than the socket 939 performance.  For example the 512k L2 socket 754 at
2.4GHz was ranked as a 3400+, while the socket 939 using dual channel
memory was ranked a 3800+.  Not using two 512MB sticks or two 1GB sticks
just doesn't make that much sense.

Is this true?  I have an amd64 4000+ system with 1GB memory in a single slot, does this hamper performance that much?