writing dvd problem

Hi,
 Writing to dvd's appears to work as normal, but reading them back
 fails, with the following appearing from dmesg

 cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

 I am running 2.6.17, testing distribution, with version 6.1-3 of
 dvd+rw-tools package.

 I can boot up to 2.6.11 recovery mode, running an old ubuntu distro,
 and am able to write and read back OK then. I also definitely did
 a backup with an amd64 setup, but cannot recall the version. It may
 have been the stable version.

 If I attempt to boot to recovery mode and write, I get the message
 on the console:

:-( Unable to anonymously mmap 33554432: resource temporarily
unavailable.

I normally use the command

$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=<isofs-image>

but the gnome dvd creator fails also.

So if anyone has any ideas here, would be grateful

Peter Garrone