Re: lirc modules needing complete kernel source

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 11:30:46PM +1000, garrone wrote:
> I'm thinking of giving lirc a try.
> I find I need the lirc-modules-source package
> because lirc_dev is absent.
>
> The package in dselect says that kernel sources
> must be installed to compile these modules.
>
> Why cannot they simply be compiled with headers,
> like the nvidia module for example?

They can.  Unfortunately last time I tried them they were incorrectly
packaged and hardcoded to build against 2.6.16 rather than the kernel
headers you point them at.  I really should file a bug report.  The
package also modifies itself on debian/rules clean, so overall it is
really in an awful state.