Re: tyan board

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 02:16:52PM -0400, dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:
> The Tyan Tomcat n3400B (S2925) has both video and 2 firewire (and floppy,
> ,4 USB, 1 serial, 1 paralell, sound, 2 GB LAN, 6 SATA 3.0, 1 IDE).
> I'll use the video for most things most of the time and for Xwidown
> running Mozilla, Xcdroast, and eventually video editing, only having
> to add a capture card (or USB dongle?).

Hmm, looked at the page:
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tomcatn3400b.html
I get the impression from the two SKU lines, that you either get
firewire and audio, or you get graphics, but that there is no SKU that
has both.  Maybe the page is wrong and they have more SKUs or I just
don't understand what they are trying to say.

> The Tyan Tomcat n3400B s2925 uses the nVIDIA nForce Pro 3400 chipset
> 	(it also mentions SMSC DME 5017, but I don't recognize that).

The SMSC is just a super io chip.  Those are usually generic (parallel
and serial ports are generic on PCs really.)

> Is there any reason to think that it wouldn't work?

The ones I can easily find for sale are:
http://www.8anet.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=28&lastcatid=5&step=4 S2925A2NRF
http://www.8anet.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=29&lastcatid=5&step=4 S2925G2NR

As for as I can tell in the product codes, A = audio, G = graphics, N =
networking, R = raid, F = firewire.

Which ones have you found for sale?