Re: AMD64 + nvraid installation

On Friday 30 June 2006 13:13, Jan De Luyck wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Just a short question: I'm getting an AMD64 system delivered soon, and I'd
> like to make use of the nvidia 'softraid' that comes with it (I need it in
> both OS' that will run on the box).
>
> I haven't really found much documentation on this: is this supported from
> the debian installer on amd64? Or is it manual work?

If it's nVidia, it may well be closed-source and binary-only.  In which case,
absolutely do not touch it with a four metre barge pole.  Unless you like the
idea of your data potentially being held to ransom by nVidia .....  but most
people use RAID in order to make their data *more* secure, not *less* secure.

Either get yourself a proper hardware RAID card such as a 3Ware  {which is
expensive, but will make the whole array appear as a single SCSI drive};  or
use Linux's established, Open Source software RAID.

You might get away with using closed-source drivers for a graphics card
{there's always SSH in an emergency};  but relying on them for something as
fundamental as your hard disks is just bending over and asking for it.

--
AJS