Re: Etch weekly build

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 12:45:03PM +0200, P|pex wrote:
> I used the sarge cd for amd64 and after upgrade to
> etch with aptitude dist-ugprade

Thanks for the reply.

I currently have a working sarge, but I'm on dial-up so
aptitude dist-upgrade isn't practical.

The system is also in daily use, so I don't want to attempt an upgrade
and then have to spend ages picking up the pieces if it fails. What
I normally do is install the upgrade to another partition and dual-
boot. When I'm happy with the new version (or distro) I configure
it to mount the other partitions (/home etc) and make it the default
boot.

The sarge that I have installed is a bit of a hack too. The default
sarge install kernel didn't recognise my SATA controller, so I had
to boot another kernel before installing, which meant that the
modules didn't load properly and I had to do some configuration
by hand later. So I really don't want to try to upgrade it.

Maybe I'll give it a go. I'll let you know the results if I do.

Dave