Re: apparent crashes persist.

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 02:53:17PM +0000, Dimitris Lampridis wrote:
> On Sunday 25 June 2006 12:15, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > Left it running overnight.  9 full passes through memory, *no* faults
> > detected.
> >

> If you search recent posts on the list, you'll see that I also had problems
> with my memory and they were not discovered by memtest. So, as others have
> suggested too, maybe its better to open your box, remove memories and try
> them one by one for some time. If the problem persists with every single
> memory module, then either your memories are OK, or all of them are bad (but
> the latter, being such an extreme case, would have been probably detected by
> memtest...)
>
> What is ur memory configuration by the way? I remember you said 2G, but is it
> 2x1G, 4x512M, something else? and what about the manufacturer?

It's Kingston memory, 2x1G.  I don't know whether the system requires
both chips to operate, but when I bought the machine they were first
talking about 2x512K, and when I suggested that 2G would be more
appropriate, they went to 2x1G.  1x1G was never discussed.

I'll have to look for and *find* the motherboard manual to find out
just what configurations it accepts, and what switches or BIOS
paraneters I'll have to set.

Things would be so much easier if the store I bought it at hadn't gone
out of business last February, "unable to compete with the big box
stores".

-- hendrik