compiler & compile options.

Greetings list.

Does anyone know the compiler & compile options used by debian for the
linux-images?  Would these be the default options or some other flags?
 (I'm only a 1/64th geek)

My goal is to compile 2.6.17-1 to debian amd64 specs, etc. (or better?) Done
my own for years, compiled lots of kernels in the past, but recently I've
been running the linux-image(s) from the repositories.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Chris W.

Machine is an original amd64 (1 meg L2 cache) AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3200+ socket 754
I'm running testing. with:  gcc version 4.0.4 20060507 (prerelease) (Debian
4.0.3-3