Re: Installing Debian (Sarge, 64 bit) on AM2 platform fails, update

Hi all

Thanks for the replies, both on and off list.

Yesterday I went to a local PC shop for some rounded IDE cables and decided I'd better buy a cheap network card too. Installed it (Realtek 8139 chipset, well supported in Debian) and re-installed with the netinstall CD I'd got earlier. This time, it worked. After a few trail & errors I got a fresh 2.6.17.1 kernel installed and low and behold: the onboard network was recognised by the forcedeth driver!

Now the base system is installed it's time for the services. Apache-2, the latest Webmin, an FTP server and such will be the next challenge. Thanks again for your help!

One more thing though: is the development team interested in the output of the hwinfo command? Or any other command(s) to get a better understanding of the AM2 platform? The hwinfo.txt file I have is approxx 155 kB in size.

Regards, M.V. Wesstein
the Netherlands