Re: OT: Re: multiprocessor

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 02:00:29PM +0200, Erik Mouw wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:03:28AM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> > Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > > Mother bowrd Tyan K8WE S 2895, two 265 dual opteron, all eight slots of ram
> > > filled (1 GB each)
> > >
> > > At computer on:
> > > CPU0=Dual Core amd64 opteron 265
> > > CPU1=Dual Core amd64 opteron 265
> > >
> > Hi,.. this is off topic:
> > I have the same board with  two 275 Opterons and these days where its
> > hot here in Munich (for what we are used to here) I have enormous heat
> > Problems.
> >
> > I'm using BIOS Version 1.03 of the board and it shows me about the
> > following temeratures:
> > CPU0 45? C
> > CPU1 73? C (I think this must be a BIOS error)
> > Ambient 50 ?C
> >
> > And this when the systems does nothing (expect from running X and the
> > usual stuff).
> >
> > Also the chipsets get very hot...
> >
> > Could you please tell me your experiences with that board?
>
> Try the lm_sensors.conf from Tyan:
>
>   ftp://ftp.tyan.com/software/lms/lms_s2895.conf
>
> I experienced similar problems with an S2885, and most of it went away
> by using Tyan's lm_sensors config file. The config file still needed a
> little tweaking (high temp for the two CPUs were completely different)
> but at least it gives you a working config file to start with.

The lmsensors package in etch seems to work perfectly w/o any downloads.
Actually, I checked it and it seems it has been updated with the mods
from tyan already.  So, as debian users, you're in luck as usual!

ripper:~$ sensors
smsc47b397-isa-0480
Adapter: ISA adapter
temp1:       +33°C  <-- cpu1
temp2:       +33°C  <-- cpu2
temp3:       +29°C
temp4:      -128°C
fan1:     1393 RPM  <-- cpu1 fan
fan2:     1348 RPM
fan3:     1357 RPM
fan4:     1428 RPM  <-- cpu2 fan

This is with 265s "basicall" idle.  The CPUs (temp1 and 2) get as high
as 43C when running for a while at 100%.  [This is the ideal machine
for compiling 800 java files several times a day ~:^) ]

If you're seeing anything higher, then you need to triple check your
fans and heat sink mounting.  They're probably not working right.

Cheers,