Re: XFS, EXT3 or some other?

Hemlock wrote:
> Hello,
> Seeking some advice on which filesystem to use.
> I've been primarlity an ext3 user, because thats all I've really
> ever known of, but would consider trying something else.
> Plus, never used anything other than 32bit Debian since slink.
>
> I've read some articles googling for xfs, ext3 and jfs and such.
> Leaning towards xfs maybe?
>
> This will be for a AMD64 sarge box used as a file, web, email and proxy
> server. Also running software raid.
>
> Thanks for your advice.

Hmm I've used xfs very long but stopped using it because it seems to be
very sensitive to system crashes,.. files which are currently open my be
in a state of only binary zeros after reboot
(http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#nulls)... apart from that
problem xfs is from a technical point of view probably a good choice as
in general its much faster than ext3.
I don't think that recent problems of SGI will become a big issue for
the XFS project...

The best fs from a technical point of view is probably reiser4, but
unfortunately its still not in the vanilla kernel and many people think
that it is not yet stable enugh...

I never used jfs.

For desktop users the binary null issue might be a big problem,... even
if one have a UPS because system crashes happen more often than in a
production system...

So perhaps ext3 is still the best choice?!

Chris.