Re: debian_amd64_sarge

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 15:36:25 +0200, Kompar Krisztian wrote
> Dear All,
>
> I would like to get more information about AMD64 port of debain
> sarge. The stability and reliability is very important for me. For
> this time only official i386 release of sarge are runing on my
> servers. Now I want to use more than 4Gb RAM that is why I am
> planing to install an AMD64 port of debian to my new server.
>
> I have some question before install it:
> 	- It will be possibe to upgrade OS from sarge to etch when the etch
> will be official stable release (at the end of this year)? The
> release change was well tested on i386 platform and I could change
> it without any big problem. 	- Does AMD64 port of sarge use the same
> code as i386 port of sarge? So 	  the AMD64 port is as stable and
> reliable as i386 port? 	- Are here somebody who use this port on
> Intel servers for a long time?

Been running sarge on a production file, email web server since August 2005.
Very stable. Also running one 32 bit program in it as well with ia32-libs
package installed.
The install was a little tough however because the stock kernel wouldn't see
the sata drive controller. Had to use Len's installer with a 2.6.12 kernel.
This will be your biggest hurdle, especially with newer hardware these days.
We recently bought a gigabyte 955x royal board for a server and it crashed
very hard every couple of days. Memory leaks, oom-killers everywhere.
This was running a 2.6.15 kernel, downloaded source for 2.6.16, recompiled
for sarge and now the server is very stable.
So I would say if you want a stable box, get a kernel that will work with
your hardware first, then sarge will hum away nicely.

Cheers,
Mike